After months of delay, I finally surrendered to need, and took my poor wig into the shop for some professional help. It's not as if I've worn it hundreds of hours. Truth be known, it's likely not been on my head for a full week over the 2-1/2 years I've owned it. Yet, it seems to be suffering from excessive dryness, as the ends of the hairs in back are horribly tangled and ratty looking. Pam will wash and condition it, and might have to do a little surgery with the pinking shears, all in time for my meeting the first Saturday in December.
Now, a story. I went to the wig shop this afternoon. Mrs. Leslie was leaving the house at the same time to pick up a child at school. As luck would have it, we were traveling the same route. I had told her that I was going out to buy dog food (true), but then I turned left when she was expecting a right. She already had an inkling that I had something else cooking. A text exchange began.
She: Is your 2nd destination a secret destination?
Me: Kinda.
A little later, after I'd finished at the wig shop:
She: Are secrets a good thing?
Me: Depends. Took wig in for much needed work. Is that bad?
This question hung out there for about twenty minutes. I never considered this task to be a secret. I considered it something that she wouldn't care to know about. Maybe that is a false distinction? When she expressed curiosity, I only hesitated for a moment to share the nature of my trip. Maybe she thought I was doing something for her Christmas, I dunno.
After the long wait, I texted again.
Me:Hmm, no response. Is that a bad thing?
She: Driving with kids.
She (a bit later):What kind of work? How much does that cost?
Me: Shampoo, condition, maybe trim some damage. Ten or twenty dollars.
I was finishing this text as she came into the house, but I went ahead and sent it. She asked me if we were going to be that couple that texts a breakup message across the dinner table. Not sure how much truth was hiding in her little ribbing.
In the evening, we went out to dinner together (I'm on vacation this week). I expected the third degree. All I got was a short exchange. She thought I should wash and set it myself. I countered with the fact that I have no safe place to let it dry after washing it, as it can take a few days. She said the garage is available. Not entirely safe, I said, and I don't have the proper equipment or experience anyway. We left it there, but it may come up again.
I like to think that she has come to understand that there is some maintenance and expense involved in my "hobby". Today makes me wonder if that bridge still hasn't been crossed. This is not a terribly expensive project, I have put it off for months, and I tried to keep her out of the loop and in her comfort zone. I'm still unsure what long-term consequences might come of it, or if this will open the door to bubbling criticisms that were being left unsaid.
I really need to start working on those timelines.
A wood and two roads
11 hours ago

Hmm, 20 dollars every two and a half years. A gum chewing habit would be costlier. :P
ReplyDeleteBut of course the cost probably isn't at the root of her concern. She's very insecure about the crossdressing and anything secretive is bound to look sinister to her and make her question what other sorts of things you neglect to mention.
But then she has created an environment where you do not feel welcome to even mention the subject. It is a bit unfair to set the precedent that you don't want to hear about something unless it is absolutely necessary, and then get upset when you get what you asked for.
I don't think you will ever be able to do anything Leslie related, without her either brooding or criticizing you over it. It's pretty clear she wants no part of it. If she's worried about secrets, let her know that her negative reactions to any Leslie related activity, are the cause of you not sharing all with her. Nobody likes to be nagged.
ReplyDeleteMelissa XX
Is it rude that my fist wish was that you bawled her out for texting while driving instead of texting her right back. That is not only dangerous for the both of you, but anyone else on the road, you know like me. I also am so immature that I probably would have said "I guess so" when she asked about the texting across the table. Good for you for sticking up for your wig maintenance.
ReplyDeleteHugs
Leslie, I long ago told my wife that she could ask anything she wanted and I would always answer with the truth. That has worked very well for me and, frankly, there have been few questions. I told her I would never lie to her and I never have.
ReplyDeleteThere are things I would rather not tell her. Very private thoughts that only another transsexual would understand. Nevertheless, if she read a book or or did some serious research and asked me these questions, I would answer truthfully.
You told her the truth when she asked. What more can you do?
Calie xxx
This sounds like the kind of exchange I might have had with Mrs. J. Slight edge, not too much menace. Need you be worried about it, I'm not sure I would in your position.
ReplyDelete