"Why should I cry for you?
Why would you want me to?
What would it mean to say
I loved you in my fashion?"
"Why Should I Cry For You" by Sting
So tell me, what stage of mourning comes after anger and denial? I think I am coming out of the denial stage regarding the slow death of my marriage. I think many of you have realized for some time that I have been in denial about the true state of my relationship. For the last week, I've slowly come to a new place. Much of this was spurred by comments from Sophie B and Calie and Tina, who noted that the common ground I share with Mrs. L could be the stuff of a platonic friendship quite easily. And then Liz, the Sonora Sage, cinched it.
My marriage is essentially best friends with benefits. It is largely a passionless affair, with the occasional steamy booty call. In this day and age, one can have this sort of relationship with or without a marriage license. The kids complicate things (understatement!), and give us our main reason for being together this long. Seeing things this way makes me less inclined to cling to all this like a life raft.
Mrs. Leslie has therapy Wednesday, so, as so often happens, she was trying to shoehorn an important conversation into the last minutes before her session. There wasn't even enough time to start the talk, but after the request, I decided to start writing down the things I need to share with her. Here's what I have:
I've burned you twice. What is your motivation to stay? When I tell you who and what I am, you can barely hide your disgust. Why stay if you hate the truth?
I still love you. I'm still attracted to you. Yet, increasingly, I feel that we are best friends with benefits. There is physical passion intermittently, but the emotional attachment seems gone, replaced by a mutual fondness, at least when we're avoiding the elephant in the room. We enjoy one another's company. Is that enough, ultimately?
I think we're both unhappy with the status quo, but we each think it needs to move in opposite directions.
That's just some ideas and thoughts thrown together, and I am unlikely to give it to her in written form anyway, as that has backfired on me multiple times. I think I can deliver this face to face.
I feel like I'm ready to let go now, without despair or gnashing of teeth. The thought of leaving doesn't upset me terribly. Disappointment, sure. Nothing will get done quickly anyway, so there is plenty of time to contemplate further. Still, I think I have taken the first step toward independence, maybe the hardest one, letting go emotionally.
A wood and two roads
11 hours ago

The stages of grief: Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Sadness, and Acceptance.
ReplyDeleteI think you've done all of them accept the last...maybe you're there now.
Congratulations. I'm so glad to see that what you wrote doesn't contain anger or bitterness - that, more than anything, will have the greatest influence upon the impact of relationship changes on your children.
ReplyDeleteOf course, the question is, would the question of leaving upset your wife terribly? If so, then matters may not go as smoothly as they otherwise might. You've been having trouble reading each other, and she may view your relationship state as something quite different.
I hope her therapy appointment went well.
Leslie, this may not be the end. Ever the optimist, I'm hoping this might just be a rebirth of your marriage.
ReplyDeleteYou are being open and assertive. Let's see where this goes.
I love all of the comments to this post and previous posts and, indeed, while my marriage is fantastic, your commenters do make me think as I file all of them away for future reference.
Calie xxx
"I think we're both unhappy with the status quo, but we each think it needs to move in opposite directions."
ReplyDeleteI think this is the key to where you are right now. As one of my favorite people to quote says: "Nothing much happens until the status quo becomes more painful than change." Where you and Mrs. Leslie are at right now just does not sound like a sustainable position. Something has to give and my personal experience is that it will not be GID.
It sounds to me as though you have outlined a conversation that asks the fundamental questions the two of you need to resolve. Answer, not just air the thoughts. I wish you the best Leslie.
I may be late with this comment, but they way you have organized important talking points seem to be that you are trying to keep things civil. Don't let her throw verbal bombs designed to stop all discussions. Keep your head about you as you talk frankly about the issues between you. Don't give away the sink and the children should know that having GID is not shameful. Your son probable know more about you than you think he does.
ReplyDeletePeace and Grace
Sarah