More debriefing from therapy...
I don't recall how it came up, but my therapist, M, told me that she thinks of me as a daisy. This is not at all like the man who mistook his wife for a hat. Rather, she was pointing out that I bloom every year, that I present a smiling face to the world, that I'm not flashy or showy, but pretty nonetheless. My blooms stay fresh all season. I sit back and watch the world go by, not calling attention to myself, but still getting noticed by the sensitive types.
The roses of the world, on the other hand, are all show. Yeah, they're beautiful, but only for a fleeting while. Plus, they come with thorns. Flash and drama and a quick fade for their blooms. Nope, not for me. I want to endure.
I'm pretty sure this is my first experience being compared to a flower. Well, my wife might have thought of me as a narcissus, which is how she thinks of all men who dress as women.
Regular readers know that I'm a sucker for a metaphor. I guess my counselor knows that too.
A wood and two roads
11 hours ago

That's beautiful, Leslie... and so are you. I think it fits! Roses are so overrated in my opinion. ;) Your therapist seems pretty awesome!
ReplyDeleteShe and you got it right! Daisy
ReplyDeleteHey Leslie Ann - totally neat metaphor field. I buy the daisy diagnosis fully.
ReplyDeleteHad to pick a posie for myself, and settled on Cannae. Tall and slender, improves root structure in winter, flowers briefly, does not look like much off-the-bloom and goes pretty much summer dormant.
Everyone should adopt a flower.
xoxo Petra
That sounds like a nice metaphor that M presented to you. Content it sounds. :)
ReplyDeleteI just want to be one of the flowers in a mixed bouquet.
ReplyDeleteThats sweet Leslie, and very true. I can't decide whether I'm a cactus or a dandelion. I feel dehydrated. But my head is full of fluff both metaphorically and literally.
ReplyDeleteHey, Leslie, did anyone ever tell you that you are a sucker for a metaphor?
ReplyDeleteNice post.
Calie xxx
That's such a sweet metaphor to be compared with =)
ReplyDelete