Sunday, August 9, 2009

A Consumer Rant

When I have finished with my last Schick Quattro blade, I will be throwing the razor away forever. It won't be soon enough.

I tried it once before and didn't much like it, but I recently bought more cartridges for it. Why? My ever-loving cheapness. They were on sale. All I wound up buying was grief.

In fact, I now pronounce the "ck" in Schick as a "t".

How do I hate thee? Let me count the ways.

There are seven or eight tiny wires running perpendicular to the blade surface, keeping one's skin from making full contact with the blades. Whose bright idea was this? Are the blades so sharp that it would be dangerous to come in contact with them? These wires also catch a lot of hair beneath them, trapping them there forever. Despite your best rinsing efforts, this razor will be clogged by the third or fourth use. Eventually hair starts popping up through the top of it.

Close shave? Not awful the first use. Faint praise, indeed. Sprinting toward awful with subsequent uses.

These are not intended to be disposable razors. They are not priced like disposable razors. Yet, disposing of this Schick (with a "t", remember) product will be the happiest moment I have spent with it.

8 comments:

  1. I've never used them, and after reading this, I'm glad! I've been using Venus Vibrance for three or four years now. I highly recommend it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cross wires must be a real nuisance. I've always used the Gillette. I forget the name for it...it has 5 blades I think. The first couple of shaves are extremely close. After that I have to relegate that cartridge to leg and body hair removal. I'm with you...these things are way overpriced for the number of good shaves you get from them. I buy my refills at Sam's Club and they are much cheaper than even Wal-Mart. STILL I hate having to buy them. Almost makes electrolysis sound cheap...lol. I've even contemplated springing for one of those cartridge sharpeners they advertise on tv. Has anyone tried one? I saw one at CVS for about $20. I'd pay twice that for one that I KNEW would work. It's just that I'm so skeptical of Infomercials. And they say Billy Mays had cocaine in his body when he died...who'dathunkit? :)Suzi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I think you have convinced me never to try that. I have been using various Gillette products for the last 10 years. Over that time they have went from making a typical 2 blade cartridge of unusually good quality, to a 3 blade, to the current, outrageously priced five blade Fusion.

    The Fusion's catridge is the most ridiculously overpriced thing in most stores I think. But its 5 blades, and they are spring loaded in such a way that the correct level of pressure and the right angle just magically happen. It complete removes the element of skill from shaving. Which is fine with me!

    I currently use the Fusion for facial hair. For anywhere else I rely on a painful Braun epilator, and the Gillette Venus 3. I guess my 3 and 5 blade razors, I could replace with 2 bladed, non-springy ones if I were good enough at shaving to hold the handle at the right angle. The blades would be a lot cheaper. I suppose Gillette's high price is the current cost of convenience on the shaving scene. And its high tag indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Face shaving sucks! I can't shave close with a blade more than once every two days, or my face turns to hamburger. I can't seem to get a really close shave, without getting a few nicks around my mouth and chin area. Something else I do frequently if I'm not extremely careful, is catch the tip of one of my nails with the blade, when pulling my skin taught. I did that the other day, and sliced off about a 1/16th of an inch of the nail tip on my middle finger, and I had just given myself fresh manicure too. *grrrr!*

    If I don't plan on going out, I just shave as close as I can with a Norelco twice a day. It doesn't shave as close as a blade, but at least it spares injury to the face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the report Leslie. I'm with Shannon...Gillette Fusion Power for the face and Gillitte Venus 3 for the legs, arms and even unmentionables. I've used most everything and these work best for me and seem to last a relatively long time.

    @Suzi...I haven't tried that rotary cartridge sharpener yet but a couple girls told me they have with great results! I'm picking one up soon...stay tuned. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to the day when I won't have to shave my face. Soon, I think. In the mean time, I'm a cheapskate. I don't bother with those multi-blade jobbies. I go with the dual-blade Gillette Good News. Gillette seems sharper than the comparable Schick blades, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with the good dr. m, Gillette Good News. But then, I tweezed my medium amount of facial hair for 35yrs killing most of it off.(growing it Mon. - Thurs. tweeze it Thurs. night and shaving for my weekend nights out) Now with hormones, what's left is very fine. I soak the blade overnight and remove that slick strip. It shaves much closer then.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the lesson I take away from this is that razor blades are not something to skimp on. This was a brief straying from Gillette, and I shall never roam again! Fusion for my face, Mach 3 on those parts of my body that I can get away with.

    ReplyDelete