Thursday, March 5, 2009

Big Strides

"You must be joking, son, where did you get those shoes?"
"Pretzel Logic" Steely Dan

Any number of people have said it, but it doesn't sink in till you live it: Nobody cares that a man is shopping for women's shoes. I was just embellishing my mole hill, like usual.

I walked right into the Payless, strode to the big girl shoes, and commenced looking. A saleslady greeted me when I came in, but let me be. Not much to choose from in the size 12 section. I picked a black peeptoe wedge pump with about a 4 inch heel. I really wanted to buy something, but it was a less than perfect choice, mostly due to the wide width.

I walked to the counter and asked the woman if that was all they had in women's size 12. She thought a moment and said that everything was out there. I then started looking at the handbags, and she asked if I needed a bag to go with the shoes. I got the feeling that she deals with people like me all the time. She didn't make me feel the least bit embarrassed, and I will feel much more confident shopping for my femme needs in the future. It was a very positive experience.

So, I bought the shoes and a black bag for less than $50. Tomorrow I get to reinforce my lesson, as I will have to go back and exchange my shoes. I cannot wear these. They fall off my feet. I hope the same lady is there. She was very kind.

I have had the worst luck with buying women's shoes. This is the fourth pair of black heels I have purchased, two online and two in person. I even tried on the pair I bought in Maryland last summer (in boy mode!). None of these proved wearable. I wear a men's 11, and all the charts tell me I should be wearing a women's 13. It just ain't so. And why can't I buy something other than very high heels? I look at the lower heels and flats, and think "frumpy" or "elderly" or "pre-teen." Or, so often in my size, "pontoon boat." I still dress infrequently enough that I'm overcompensating, going super femme. I'm never going to approach passable at 6'6" in heels.

Anyway, all the encouragement helped immensely. This fear was an unnecessary impediment to my success. I hope it's behind me now.

2 comments:

  1. Don't sell yourself short (no pun intended). I'm 6'6" before I put on heels, and although it's certainly no advantage, I don't usually have any problems.

    And I wish I had the same problems you do shopping for shoes. I'm a full two sizes bigger than you, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my...and a conversation with the clerk? You go girl!! I knew you could do it. To bad you have to take them back and I hope you find something that works for ya. Shoes seem to run a range of one full size difference, depending on the brand...or so it seems with me.

    Smile sister...you earned it. :)

    ReplyDelete