Sunday, July 26, 2009

Uneasy Does It

Where to begin? This was the much anticipated day of shopping with my girlfriends. We met at one of Tina's favorite consignment stores, very nice stuff and a lot of it. But I was feeling overwhelmed. I'm always self-conscious, but browsing through skirts and tops and shoes in boy-mode just made me acutely aware of standing out. The store was fairly busy when I arrived, which didn't help. I sat in the sweltering car for five or seven minutes, listening to the Reds game, summoning the courage to walk ten feet to the door. I finally called Shan to make certain that they were already in there. Just a little reassurance that I had a safety net waiting.

I was watching myself from afar at first, seeing myself as I felt others were seeing me. Tall, balding, slump-shouldered shuffler-mumbler. My friends all looked great, and fit in quite well, I thought. And how I wished for my long hair and a bit of makeup. I've passed as a male for forty-five years, but I would have been so much more at ease even as a primitively drawn female. I spent as much time looking inward as poking through the racks.

The last 45 minutes or so, I began to get more relaxed. The clientele had thinned out, and I was enjoying the time with my friends. I found nothing that I wanted to purchase, but then, the merchandise was almost exclusively summer stuff. With my body hair issues, there is really no point in my buying summery women's clothing. I love all those delicate spaghetti straps and short skirts, but it would be money down the toilet.

We moved on to Payless after that, and it was similarly a bust. There is just not that much selection in the 11/12 range. And why does everything have to have a platform? I don't need an extra half-inch, thank you! Despite the shoe situation, I was caring a lot less about my presentation. But my time was up. We exchanged hugs and they walked up to TJ Maxx, while I went to my car.

I am so lucky to have these ladies as close friends. They treated me just like I was all Leslie. Sylvia had never even seen me in boy-mode before. They are wonderfully warm, caring people, and I love them dearly. I love that I can be vulnerable around them, that I can share my fears in real time. And they'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

My wife was a little quiet both before and after my trip. In the evening we went to see The Soloist with Robert Downey Jr. and Jamie Foxx. I think I need to start listening to more classical music. My emotions, already riding near the surface, bubbled over during the musical sequences. I adore Beethoven's last four symphonies, and I think that I might be able to purge my backlog of tears with Ludwig's help. A great film.

We went out for a late meal afterwards. We discussed the movie for a while, then she asked me how my shopping trip had been. I told her that I'd felt a little weird and uncomfortable, and gave her a bare bones overview of the afternoon. I was so relieved that she asked, something she wouldn't have done a few months ago. I didn't want to overwhelm her, but it was very important to me to be able to share my experience with her. Later on, I thanked her for allowing me to go out with my friends. I reiterated my confidence that she would like them if she met them.

The shopping aspect was a bit of a bust for me, but I came away more confident in my ability to navigate the world of women, even from my male perch. I was able to stretch myself just a bit more, so the day was far from wasted.

7 comments:

  1. Well, I can certainly relate, Leslie.

    Your comment on being lucky to have such good friends certainly rang true with me. I can walk into a room full of friends, all en femme, but me drab, and immdiately hear a chorus of "Hello Calie". What I wear seems to have absolutely no effect on how my TG friends visualize me. In their minds, I am all girl. That's nice and I love them for that.

    I bought a friend of mine a Victoria's Secret gift certificate a few months ago in honor of her "new birthday". She said to me, weren't you afraid to go into VS? Most guys are. Then she looked at me and realized what she just said and the look said it all. And, yes, I was a bit nervous.

    Calie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. One small step for a man...one giant step for Leslie. Perhaps a small step for the S.O. too. It appears that things are changing around your house. :)Suzi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with you about feeling out of place with going in a store and poking around the woman's section in male mode. It has always been a challenge for me. One thing I have done is picture myself in fem mode in my mind and pretend I am buying a present for that girl. I am sometimes even able to convince myself of this, I do this so that when someone comes up to you and asks if they can help you find something, you calmly explain that your looking for a present. for this person and then go with it. Sounds odd, but really helps. In the end they want the sale, and you want to feel comfortable its a win-win. Thanks for your thoughts

    Bre

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you got to come out with us Leslie, and sorry you didn't get to present as yourself.

    But I'm still so impressed that your wife trusted you to come hang out with us outside a support group setting, and that you were both able to openly discuss the idea, both before, and after.

    I do wish you could have found at least one item though. But it is hard shopping in guy mode. I never feel at ease enough to properly search things. I always feel a little flighty, and I'm just scanning items, but I'm not really processing them. Its a matter of pride. I know they realize I'm shopping for myself, and I think if I get anything cool they will be thinking. "Wow, that poor thing thinks "he" can pull that off. Ha!" Its so much easier to keep your self esteem when you are presenting as yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leslie, I sure glad you could come out with us! It just isn't the same without ya. Thanks for tipping me off that my top I was trying on had the back hiked up and the small of my back was showing. Gawd, I had to look like a big ditz walking through the store! LOL I ain't right I know but sure had lots of fun with you girls. Hope we can do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was quite an eventful day, Leslie!

    I'm very happy that you were able to enjoy yourself and indulge in girl world, where shopping trips do not always end with purchases ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. While in boy mode, I have only had one weird experience while shopping for girl clothes. I was in Target, looking through the girls section when another patron approached me and asked if I always shop in the girls section. I don't even know if I replied to her. She went away and I kept shopping, but I still remember it made me feel so weird. I am happy though that I kept my composure, didn't tell her how awful she was dressed, and continued my shopping trip. This BTW is after about 5 or 6 years of shopping, with only one weird trip.

    ReplyDelete