Those of us who are veteran crossdressers have had to hone special skills. I developed an outstanding eye for detail, having to cover up evidence of borrowing clothes and makeup. Nothing intensifies your focus more than getting caught in a mistake. Once, in my teen years, I left a pair of heels outside my mother's closet. She wanted an explanation, and really looked like she knew something was up, but she let me off the hook with my lame story about digging around for Christmas presents. The event was never mentioned again, but I never forgot, or committed that error again!
Still, we all slip up from time to time. For Valentine's Day, I went to Victoria's Secret to find a slinky something for my wife. I was just one of the many men wandering into the store that week, though having a lot more intimate personal knowledge of the choices that would be presented to me. I was very proud of the fact that I resisted the urge to buy myself something while I had a legitimate excuse to be in there.
But as I left the store, bag in hand, I was confronted by a salesman at a kiosk. Brilliant marketing, really. He was selling nail kits (buffing block, cuticle oil, mineral hand lotion, a nice nail file). He pulled me aside and began buffing my thumbnail, demonstrating his product. He really couldn't lose. Edgy guys coming out of VS are vulnerable to another impulse buy. And on the off chance that the guy was in VS for himself, they might be even more likely to bite.
He put a beautiful sheen on my nail, and I was hooked. My first impulse was to buy for my wife, maybe use some nail care as foreplay. Then, my lesser instincts took over. I wanted this for myself. I can't get away with painting my nails, much as I desire to, but this was a great way to get closer to that fantasy. So I bought the kit.
Today, the credit card bill came. I saw that VS was on there, but I didn't notice the kiosk purchase. My wife did, and she called me at work to ask what it was. I made like I couldn't talk just then. Panic, you know. I imagine this will come up again Tuesday, but I'm uncertain how I'll answer. The foreplay answer is sorta legit, but it is unlike anything I've ever done, so it may well sound like a convenient lie.
Truly, I don't want to lose possession of this item. My dysphoria has been intense for two weeks now, and seems to be worsening. I'm trying to make due with little details that make me feel more feminine: wearing a camisole, taking care of my nails, plucking my eyebrows. I can see the difference, but the world and my wife likely won't. I'd like to share all this with her, but when we start talking about these things, she stiffens up and begins to act agitated. I get pretty reliable signals when I'm saying something she doesn't care to hear.
I want to share with her my realization that I now understand how risky my behavior was last year, that I was endangering my career, and thus my family. She had a right to be outraged. I want to share my conclusion that I will probably never transition, though I'm not sure she would believe it. So much would have to change for that to ever be feasible. Very long odds. Could be an interesting discussion. Or it could be an ugly dud.
A wood and two roads
11 hours ago

I just started reading your blogs: I feel for you. Your wife obviously has the same issues most women do when it comes to this:
ReplyDelete1. she's deathly afraid of "what everyone will think." Women are much more obsessed with "fitting in." Also a woman's pride amongst other women is her man. You not wanting to be one is ruining the main thing women marry for: social acceptance.
2. She obviously needs a "masculine" male, that's why your lack of body hair bothers her so much; she may even have sexual issues of her own that she's in denial about, which is why anything that smacks of lesbianism bothers her so much.
You're in a pickle. There's no easy answer. You can continue to live the life she wants you to live, and be miserable for the rest of you life (believe me.... the feelings will never go away. They may subside from time to time, but the more you supress them, the stronger they will come back the next time.)
Or you can start standing your ground, getting what you want, and face the reality that your marriage is not likely to survive it.
Life is all about choices. You have to choose between sacrificing inner peace to maintain the illusion of a successful, normal, heterosexual married male for the benefits of others and the social acceptance it will bring you.
Neither choice is wrong, neither is right. It all comes down to what is more important TO YOU.
But that's what this always comes down to.
i tried to leave this the other day, but couldn't get the word verify thingy to work...let's try again...wish me luck!
ReplyDeleteOMG woman, this is one of your best blogs yet! I felt like I was there with you. Explaining the shoes to mom, walking through VS, chatting it up with the nail care guy, the thoughts running through our minds...the anticipated reactions and the cover-up stories we would tell. I feel ya sister. That fab nail kit is just too good to pass up, but cash is king sister...remember the rules? Oh well, the deed is done and now you have to come up with something. I've a couple fabrications for you that came to mind almost immediately. Guess old habits die hard. When I was a child my Mother always said "Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when we first practice to deceive". So I've always felt like that spider named Charlotte, you know, from the E.B.White story, weaving a deceptive web of lies. Always hated that about myself, but what's a girl to do? Maybe that's why so many Trans people I've meet are so open and honest when in our own element. Maybe it's that we are so tired of all the lies and cover-ups just so we can be what everyone else gets to be. Ourselves.
Gawd, I'm rambling now. Anyway, I totally understand doing all those things that make you feel more of who you are. And, you certainly should deserve a simple nail kit, if it brings a bit of happiness, with all you've been going through. Certainly isn't like an overindulgence that would break the bank. Maybe just tell the wifey the truth; "Yeah, it's MY Valentine's Day present to myself...deal with it". Isn't (that) an assertive male thing to say? But, then again maybe that's what she is looking for...I don't know. Either way it's a step towards the disassembly of that damn "web" we all hate.
Just my opinion, but maybe all that rehashing of feelings and "you where rights" isn't really what she wants. Perhaps a more assertive demeanor is in order. Maybe you would both get more of what you want. It would be a new direction. Albert Einstein said “No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.”
I really don't know honey, I'm just blabbing...but it is what I do best. ;) Good Luck Sister!
<3 Tina