Saturday, July 5, 2008

Learning Curve

"I'm wearing the shoe till it fits, then I'm calling it quits" -- Aimee Mann --

I'm feeling much freer to talk about my TG life with the missus of late. She's very nicely opening the door, asking if there's anything I want to talk about. Today she even asked about my therapy session. She has never expressed any interest before in the content of my treatment. I'll address anything she's curious about if it keeps the talk flowing.

My friend Cassie called me tonight. Last month she offered to let me dress for our meeting at her apartment, then go out for a bite to eat before the meeting. I had to cancel abruptly on short notice when the wife boiled over. Cassie kindly made the same invitation for the August meeting. She's very understanding and forgiving.

I got in trouble last month because I made my plans without consulting my spouse. Not this time. I told her that Cassie had repeated her invitation. No fireworks, but she is clearly worried about me doing anything out in public. She is again making noises about taking the kids to Cincy that weekend. Maybe, maybe not. Regardless, I'm going to run any tentative plans by her. She deserves that consideration.

I'm so used to hiding everything about my other life. It's practically a reflex to deny the facts or change the topic. I'm having to relearn how to communicate with her. The other day, I was making a grocery list, with her rattling off items. I told her to slow down, as I hadn't learned shorthand in the steno pool. Then I quickly added that I had mastered the dress code there. This joke would not have been made a month ago, but my comfort level, and hers, has risen. If I can manage not to screw this up, my life may be pretty tolerable. And isn't that the American dream?

No comments:

Post a Comment